Thursday, November 19, 2015

Narrative essay

Description: Students will compose a personal narrative essay in which they describe something meaningful to themselves and reflect on the impact it’s had on their life. They will incorporate sensory details to draw the reader into the essay, smooth transitions to link their ideas, and a conclusion that provides reflection.

Standard(s):
W3: Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, well-chosen details, and well-structured event sequences.
W4: Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
W5: Develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach, focusing on addressing what is most significant for a specific purpose and audience.

Proof: Dillon powers
English essay
Failure
Failure is something that we all experience in life. Everybody goes through it, it's an inevitable part of maturing and becoming a better person. The key to failure is how people deal with it. Some people get down and sad, but that doesn't improve it and it's the situation at all. Use failure as a way to drive you forward and onward, to become bigger and better, and to succeed where you originally failed. I have failed several times in life, but instead of getting depressed I moved on, and used failure to drive me to succeed because I didn't want to feel that way again. One example of this is getting a job in the after school program at school.
My mom runs the after school program at my school. She is the boss that hires and fires employees. One of the other kids had asked her about getting a job, as he had done community service for her and she said yes. He worked there for a couple weeks, and I had interest at working there as well so I Approached my mother about a job. I honestly just assumed that the answer would be yes, as I am her son and she knows me And the kind of kid that I am. Her reply was not quite what I expected.
my mother didn't say no to the job, however she didn't say yes either. Her reply was that she wasn't sure I was ready or mature enough to handle the job. She said that I would work the rest of the quarter, but not get paid and if I could handle the job then we would talk about employment again. It bothered me that she wasn't sure I was mature enough but that didn't stop me, or get me down. I didn't like it but I worked the rest of the quarter everyday that I could and did my best each and everyday. I really wanted and needed the job, so I did my best and proved to my mother that I could handle the job. In the end, I got the job and have enjoyed it ever since. I am now in my second year of work there I am still enjoying the job.
This job an experience of earning the job has changed me a lot. It gave me a sense of pride to be earning my own money and be working for my mother. I learned a lot about working and having to earn the job. It also made me more mature to have to earn it and work with kids everyday. It opened my eyes to what it's like to get a job and have to earn the job.

Reflection:
  •  I liked the fact that we wrote the college essay. It was an easy essay to write that I enjoyed . I Believe that I met all of the standards being assessed. For example, engaging the reader by setting a problem. I did that in the first couple paragraphs. I needed to get the job, and was upset when I wasnt sure if I would or not. I talked about how upset I was when my mom said she wasn't sure if I could handle the job or not, so I did my best to work hard and get the job. I learned that I can persevere through things, finish what I need to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment