Friday, December 4, 2015

Hero Portrait

Description: Students will identify an unsung hero in their own lives and interview him or her, using questions they compose themselves. They will use this information to write a mini biography of their hero and produce a visual representation of their hero. 

Standard(s):
W2: Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content.
W4: Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
W5: Develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach, focusing on addressing what is most significant for a specific purpose and audience.

Proof:  Dillon powers 
English essay 
Hero
A hero to me is somebody who always does what's best or what needs to be done even if it's not what they want to do. For example, someone who works multiple jobs to pay their bills even though they would rather be having fun then working. My mother is that type of hero. She is always there for me no matter what, she works two jobs from seven in the morning until six at night, and she is always the best person she can be. 
As a child my mother grew up in an abusive home. She was a used by her mother and her father was the only one who would defend her. She always wanted to be a hair dresser in High school but never went to school for it. She graduated from Stevens high school in New Hampshire. However, Instead of being s hair dresser she found her calling as a day care provider. She started her own daycare and became a registered daycare shortly after. This meant that she could take kids in from DCF and kids with special needs. She had a very successful daycare for 15 years. 
During those 15 years she had ten families that she gave daycare for. She made a lot of money and even had my oldest brother and sister. She was able to stay home and raise them while running her business and making a living. She really enjoyed that part of the daycare. She loved working with the kids because it gave them a place to be loved and cared for which she didn't always have when she was growing up. After a while she grew tired of running the daycare because it was a lot of work and she moved to Vermont because she got married. Here in Vermont she applied and got accepted to the school. 
She has now worked at school for 15 years  and she loves it. She loves working with the kids and giving kids love which they don't always get at home. She just wants to make a difference in kids lives. She had fulfilled many different positions here at the school she has been a behavior interventionist or a BI a para educator, and the planning room coordinator.  She doesn't see herself as a hero, but knows she is as she has had five hero essays written about her. 
My mother has always been there for me since birth, she's been there to give me guidance, advice, and steer me in the right direction. She doesn't tell me what to do but gives suggestions, and is an all around good person. 

Reflection:
What did you like/dislike about the project? I liked the fact that I got to write a paper on my mom.
What was easy/hard about this project? The project was easy, I wrote a paper.
Do you believe you mastered the standard(s) being assessed? Provide proof of mastery, explaining what you did in order to meet the standard(s), or describe what you could do to achieve mastery in the future. Yes I did meet the standards, I used very clear and coherent writing to convey my moms expirences. This is evident throughout the paper, but is most evident in my body paragraphs. I go deep into detail about her expirences how she felt.
What did you learn from completing the project? That my mom is a very strong woman who has gone through a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment